Monday, June 15, 2009

Yes, Sir!

I would have to say that the east coast equivalent of House of Hengst would have to be, in my eyes at least, Brooklyn's own Sir. Located on both Atlantic Avenue, in what real estate agents might call "Brooklyn Heights", and on Bedford Ave., in the heart of hipsterville (eh hem, I mean williamsburg), Sir is another carefully constructed collection of vintage-inspired clothing being manufactured on a small scale with craft and beauty. The line's designer, Joanna Baum, describes her pieces as having "Parisian sensibilities" and a “pretty, roughed-up look”, which to me sounds just about perfect. Gauzy, sexy, sheer, sophisticated and all with a touch of vixen is what I see whenever I stop into the Atlantic Ave. shop (which is frequently, as it is just around the corner from my house). I imagine Baum's pieces to be wearable either to the office or, with a touch of ruby-red lipstick, out for drinks in the later hours. More so, they are perfect if you want to go for a slightly more worldly version of Maggie Gyllenhaal's look in Secretary. Which, coincidentally, I do. Now, where did I put that pencil skirt?

No comments:

Post a Comment