Sunday, May 24, 2009

I Heart Bill Cunningham

Fine. I'll admit it. I watch the audio slide show "On the Street with Bill Cunningham" first thing every Sunday morning. I've been timid about sharing this bit of information because I've been afraid that in doing so I might inadvertently reveal a great secret of mine; one that only a few in my inner circle know. You see, on Sundays, when I open the New York Times (be it in print or online) I skip right over World News and Arts and read: the Style section..... First.
And one of the many reasons I do this is because I have grown to just plain love Bill Cunningham. I adore him as if he were my super fashion-savvy, Reebok-wearing, couture-loving grandfather. Not only do I admire the way he zips through the city streets on what seems to be a super sleek Dutch bicycle (not pictured here), or the way he always has his camera on hand, ready to capture people in their most stylish (or interesting/awful) get-ups. There's more to it than that. What makes me a true fan of Mr. Cunningham is the sincere enthusiasm (bordering on childlike wonder) that he has for his most simple observations. When he notices a whole slew of upper east side women starting to wear coats in November (because it's cold), or that ice and slush are forming puddles and snowbanks curbside in January (because they do) and that this is causing pedestrians to have to (gasp!) step over them, he reports these facts as though they were the most cutting-edge, thought provoking perceptions one could make. In today's piece he reported on skirts with "swooshy flair" for a full three minutes, and then ended by encouraging his viewers to indulge in a skirt that's "a bit sassy, sagacious, and that will maybe cause a little comment", while laughing sweetly all the while. From the sound of him, Mr. Cunningham seems to see the world through new eyes, with a playfulness that makes even the most obvious, the most dull, or the most obsolete trend seem like a delight to observe and ponder. And despite being highly regarded by the highest in high fashion, I have read that he is very down to earth. He seems to enjoy fashion without getting too caught-up in it or taking it too seriously. He just peddles his bicycle around town, happily capturing his wonderment snap shots. This all adds up to him coming across as someone who truly, and lightheartedly, loves what he does. With his sincerity and instinctual whimsicality, my coffee cup and I just keep coming back for more each Sunday morning. First thing.

1 comment:

  1. You have so perfectly captured my sentiments about the charming Bill Cunningham.... thank you

    ReplyDelete