Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Les Chansons D'Amour


Take a drizzly Parisian background, a young, quintessentially beautiful french couple (Louis Garrel and Ludivine Sagnier), create a love triangle that manages to be both steamy and blase all at once, throw in a dialogue expressed almost entirely in song, and there you have it: either the worst movie you will ever see, or you new super-favorite. I loved it of course, but I'm hopeless when it comes to blue love stories, bizarre plot twists, beautiful art direction, and so on. And, of course, anything in the tradition of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jaques Demy; 1968) is guaranteed to win over a certain breed of film lover. Me? Hopeless, I tell you. Absolutely hopeless. But I encourage you to have a look for yourself and then tell me, or sing me, what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment